Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Understanding significantly and inexplicably high number of pageviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

For our organization I am conducting a quarterly analysis of the traffic coming to our website as well as all social media channels. For the website we have now been relying for years on Google Analytics - and we have continue to gather extensive data of our web traffic. This includes (among many others) the breakdown of pageviews throughout the page.

For the past quarter we have noticed a significant outlier, in terms of pageviews. It is in fact an older page for which we had not been doing any particular promotion. So it puzzles as to why this page has become so popular. I had a look at the Acquisition page, as well as the Behaviour flow, but could not find any hints as to why - it really appears the page is the landing page from predominantly organic searches. Are you able to advise on other elements in Google Analytics that help me to understand the popularity of a page?

Many thanks in advance!

J

1 Expert replyverified_user

Understanding significantly and inexplicably high number of pageviews

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi J, 

I would recommend you look at your Search Console to get an idea of what kind of Organic searches your pulling in. It sounds like one of your old landing pages has risen in the rankings. 

Besides that I would recommend you check the following: 

1) Implimentation of your Analytics code. 

2) Look at the 'country' origin in the landing pages section of Analytics to see if there is a flood of traffic from an atypical country. 

3) Dive into Source/Campaign for the landing pages. 

4) What is their avg. session duration compared to your other, more recent landing pages? If it's very short it could be that someone in your marketing department or even a competitor has attached low quality links to these landing pages. 

Let me know if this helps, 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’