Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Understanding Users and the Graph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My metrics show that I have 10,844 Users, but the graph show show I have peaked just under 3,000 users. Can someone explain why the graph is different.

Graph.JPG

Re: Understanding Users and the Graph

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Graph is different because it shows you number of users in given time intervals (days/weeks/months). If you summed up numbers that you could see by hovering over points shown on graph you'd get the total number of your users shown by your metrics.

In short: graph shows you user distribution in selected time frame, metrics show totals.

Hope it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for responding. I am not getting the same numbers though. Looking at yesterday, it shows that I had 11,807 users, but when I add up the numbers at each data point on the graph the total comes out to 24,926. Can you explain this?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jerry,

It's because you cannot simply add numbers from data points when it comes to calculating users. Here you can find explanation how Google counts users in Audience Overview report when the only dimension chosen is date range:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2992042?hl=en&authuser=1

The part you're might be interested in is called "Calculation 1: Pre-calculated data".

You can get more accurate number by adjusting precision of the report - click chessboard-looking button in top-right corner of your report (just below date range) and move the slider to the right. Numbers that you'll get should be closer to what you expected to see.

If it answers your original question then I'd be glad if you could mark my answer as an "Accepted solution". If you'll have any more questions please let me know - I'd do my best to help you.