Analytics
2.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Understanding Navigation Summary

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to understand navigation summary reports.

In the list of previous pages are pages that to not link to the page I am looking at. Same goes for next page.

For example, I am looking at navigation for example.com/page1

In the list of previous pages is example.com/page34 which does not actually link to example.com/page. How can this be a previous page?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If a user opens several tabs on their browser, they can literally go from any page to a different page in the other tab. You will see a lot of this as people open a new tab for several products to 'hold it' while they surf the rest of the site in another tab, then they bounce around between tabs trying to figure something out.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response, Mike.

That is an interesting insight into user behaviour but we are talking about 100's of situations like this. It seems unlikely (to me at least) that so many people are browsing in this way.

To give you some more context:

We have a management team page which has multiple links to each person's personal page.

Each personal page has no links to other personal pages - the only way to get there is to go back a page (either literally or via breadcrumb link).

Previous and next page path analysis is, however, showing lots of traffic between these different personal pages.

As I type, I wonder if they are going back and then clicking on the next personal page before the GA code can fire, thereby skipping that interim page out?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

More likely that people are right-clicking an opening a tab for each person from the team page, then browsing the tabs...or a crawler is doing it.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.