AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Understanding Mobile Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using the new User Explorer report and want to confirm my understanding of what I am seeing.

Especially for mobile users, I am seeing single page sessions repeatedly, following an initial session.  For example the user clicks through an email, browses the site and leaves from a product page at around 10am.  The same day I am often seeing subsequent sessions begin and end on this same page for this user.  So the page is 'visited' again at 11am, 12.30pm, 3pm etc.

It seems to me this is likely the user leaving this page open in their browser. When they next use their mobile and open the browser, it opens on this last used tab again and triggers a new session.  Even though its likely the user is not really interacting with the page on these occasions.

Would others agree with my interpretation?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Understanding Mobile Sessions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Neil,

That's entirely plausible as the session would end after thirty minutes of activity. They may purposely be keeping the page there as they want to explore it later or may not know how to close the browser or tab. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn