Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Understanding Hit vs. Session-based Data in a Custom Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

As I understand it from Avinash Kaushik's blog post, a session-level dimension should not be combined with hit-level metrics. It appears that GA allows such combinations when creating a custom report (in other words, it doesn't stop you from shooting yourself in the foot).

For example, I created a custom report with the following dimension and metrics:

Dimension: Page (hit, I think)

Metric 1: Pageviews (hit?)

Metric 2: Sessions (session)

Metric 3: Pages/session (session)

Metric 4: Unique pageviews (hit?)

The resulting report contained data for each metric. If the Page is a hit-level dimension, is the session metric counting all sessions that included the page? How can I tell which combinations result in garbage data? Is there a reference that labels every dimension and metric as hit, session, or user?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff L
January 2016

Re: Understanding Hit vs. Session-based Data in a Custom Report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff,

No, there is no reference...sadly.

Sessions is a unique metric -- it is counted on the first hit of the sessions, which if it is a pageview, is the landing page. If you counts sessions for pages, you are really counting entrances for landing pages.

I have explored this and other commonly misunderstood metrics in a series of articles, but if you have other specific questions, I can answer them here.
http://help.analyticsedge.com/googleanalytics/misunderstood-metrics-sessions-for-pages/
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Understanding Hit vs. Session-based Data in a Custom Report

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
...oh, and if you want a count of the 'sessions' that a page was viewed in, use the 'unique pageviews' metric. It is a hit level metric and counts once per session, so it is an effective sessions count.

Also, note that pages/session will be affected by the fact that sessions are only counted for entrances...These numbers could be very large...and meaningless.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.