Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM tracking vs Referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

We are currently placing a banner on a partner website and we are tracking the clicks on that banner using UTM as follows:

campaign: xyz

source: partner website name

medium: banner

The partner website has placed an additional text link within an article, so now we have 2 links pointing to 2 different pages on our website: 

- the banner (using UTM as mentioned above)

- the text (just anchor and link)

In the acquisition > referrals I don't see the referrals coming from that partner!

Is it because I have placed the partner's website name in the source? am I doing something wrong here?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Sam

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Sam,

The fact that the banner is tagged and the link is not will not impact this in any way.  It is possible that no- one clicked on the text link.  Or perhaps it redirects first?

You may consider using utm_content for "banner" and utm_medium for cpc or cpm or however you engaged the site.   Otherwise you may find that this will fall into the "other" channel.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I have tested to click on the text link and checked Google Analytics in real time. Still didn't get any referrals from the site!

I just realized that it happened to another referral!

Not sure anymore how does this work...

Let me know what you think

Sam

Re: UTM tracking vs Referrals

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

click on the various links and see what is being sent using Google Debugger in chrome (available from chrome store, it's an extension). You'll be able to see the campaign parameters and/or referring source. See attached image as an example.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: UTM tracking vs Referrals

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 23.27.50.png

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hey Sam,

What John W said would work if you are using classic analytics but not Universal Analytics as the campaign information is server side and not available to the client.  If you are using GTM it's super simple to deploy a classic tag and do this in preview mode.

That said it's possible you've added this domain to the ignored referrer list.  You may want to try a different browser, navigate to the link and then click as depending on what you have deployed - referrals in session do not overwrite campaign information in some cases (classic). 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind support.

In fact, I am using UA and GTM. Will try the GTM trick but I am not sure if I will be able to see the source. The same thing happened to another link that used the UTM code. In this case too, I could see the referring website in the campaign details and not in the Referral section.

Could you highlight quickly, how does UTM work (technically), I think if we attach the UTM details to a link, in order to see the details of the referring website under the referral section, we have to add the campaign medium as Referral. Otherwise, we won't see it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

Sam

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Sam,

If you are using utm parameters, you will not see it in referrals.   Traffic is bucketed in referrals when an HTTP referrer is present that does not match an organic or social source AND there are no utm parameters.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo, 

Nice to hear from you again.

Agree, but why does the other text link that is on the same website / same page does not show under referrals.

That is what drives me mad! Smiley Happy

Sam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey John,

The extension didn't work with UA!