Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM tagging not working - no records in campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I have been using the Google URL Builder as per instructions and have created this link:

http://caseinsurance.co.uk/about-case-insurance/?utm_source=test&utm_campaign=test&utm_medium=test&u...

However, this is not showing up in Analytics under Acquisitions > Campaigns! (I have tried many other UTM tags by the way, and none are coming through - the all campaigns page is empty).

I have checked for redirects etc (all the problems I have found listed on google, blogs etc.) with no luck. Google analytics is set up on the site, showing all other data correctly; there is no Adwords set up as not used it yet on this property; cms is wordpress.

Any ideas would be HUGELY appreciated as I have been trying to resolve this all day.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM tagging not working - no records in campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mike :-)
I checked the site with Google Tag Manager and also had a look at the page source code via browser.
Is a plugin being used for GA tracking?

How are the pages being created?
Sometimes the tracking code is seen as installed and loading in pages.. other times its not (even with repeatedly refreshing a page)

The site is wordpress, so if tracking is correctly installed it should be seen as being site wide

unless a plugin (for the tracking or one of the others) or coding are causing some kind of issue.

Something you may want to look into too, is appending the campaign parameters with a hash instead of a question mark. 

GA should track this by default re the hash being used to append them instead. It seemed to work when i tested it... hwoever given

that something funky is going on with the tracking code.. not sure how accurate this will be in the long run.

notrack02.jpgnotrack01.jpgnotrack03a.jpgnotrack03b.jpg

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn! Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

I use monster insights plugin for the GA tracking.

A few of these have come through into campaigns now but they're not consistently coming through and I'm really stumped. Would it be worth disabling monster insights and putting the tracking code directly into each page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update on this: I have removed Monster Insights and put the code directly into the header with a lightweight plugin. I am seeing them real-time and will wait 24hrs to see if they come through on campaigns, but should do!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @mikeshudson

No i wouldnt directly put the tracking into each page. wordpress doesnt tend to like that.
I would temporarily disable the plugin and go look on the support thread for the plugin on wordpress.org

to see if anyone is having similar issues.

If your theme has an admin option for adding scripts to the header or footer then I would use that.
If it doesnt, and you know how to correctly add script to WP via the theme's function.php file then

I would add it that way..

If you have a dev setup for the iive site, on the dev site, I would start testing by disabling all 
plugins and then re-enabling them one at a time. testing to see if there is a 
plugin conflict causing an issue.

If you are using any caching plugins, it could also be a conflict with one of the settings in that too

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks @mikeshudson, i did not see your reply before i responded.

What you have done sounds fine. You may want to follow up on WordPress.org with the plugin creator.
Or try a different plugin, as most of them do offer some nice extra functionality that can be handy.