Analytics
5.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM parameter and event tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I’m starting to use the campaign tracking in GA. I generate links with UTM-Parameters. As you know, the parameters are:

• campaign
  • source
  • medium
  • content
  • term

The data shown up in my Analytics: „Acquisition / All Campaigns“.

I can see the name of the „campaign“ and one level deeper the parameter „Source/Medium“.

How can I use the parameter „content“ and „term“ for reports?

Finally I want to do this:

On the homepage I have configured the Google Tag Manager. I set up some events (Click-on-Button etc.). They are correctly reported in Google Analytics. I want create a dashboard that shows this information: Throught the Click on the Post X (tagged with UTMs) Y users are visiting the page and clicked Z times on the event.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moritz C
December 2015

Re: UTM parameter and event tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

for the first issue you can always do:
A. Secondary dimension - add content or term as a secondary dimensions to determine performance on content per source ' medium basis or
B. Create a custom report - potentially Flat table type where you can add up to 5 dimensions in the report inside one table
C. Inside standard reports change the primary dimension to content or term and drill down the opposite way

For the dashboard part you can just use a segment to define - click on post X with UTMs so use dimensions for segment which you defined through UTM and then just use unique or total events metric and add additional filter values in the widget (event category, label, action).
Kind regards,
Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moritz C
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

for the first issue you can always do:
A. Secondary dimension - add content or term as a secondary dimensions to determine performance on content per source ' medium basis or
B. Create a custom report - potentially Flat table type where you can add up to 5 dimensions in the report inside one table
C. Inside standard reports change the primary dimension to content or term and drill down the opposite way

For the dashboard part you can just use a segment to define - click on post X with UTMs so use dimensions for segment which you defined through UTM and then just use unique or total events metric and add additional filter values in the widget (event category, label, action).
Kind regards,
Zorin

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I created the report that fixed my first issue. Thanks for the request, it helped me a lot.

But is there any way to show the UTM-Link in its full lenght in relation to a specific event?

*col1* UTM-URL (with all parameters) -> *col2* specific event 1 (defined in GTM) -> *col3* specific event 2 (defined in GTM)

I need an overview of all UTM-Links (full URI / with parameters) in relation to events on the page.

I created the events and they fired properly on the page.
Now I want the full link (I have to identify the specific UTM-Link) in relation to event 1 and event 2 (count of the clicks).

I spend the last days with research and try-and-error ;-) any advices?

Greetz Mo.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mo,

GA will by default strip the utm tags so the only way would be to send this info (full LP with utm params) with a custom dimension (set it as session scope and send on session start).

Kind regards,
Zorin