Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM codes not being tracked?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We've been running a display campaign as well as a search campaign in AdWords (AdWords and Analytics accounts are linked) and have recorded conversions in AdWords, but those conversions are not showing up in Analytics.

We've always been able to go to Behavior > Site Content > All Pages, sort the pages to show all of our thank you pages, use source/medium as the secondary dimension and see results from our campaign. We always use "AdWords" as the source and either "display_ad" or "search_ad" as the medium. However, none of those are showing up for any of our thank you pages. Note that there is no conversion data in the AdWords > Campaigns section of Analytics, even though we have recorded conversions in the AdWords UI.

This is the first campaign we've had where this is an issue, and I ensured that UTM codes and settings are configured properly. Any chance this is a reporting bug or am I missing something?

Thank you!

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nick,

I would recommend using auto-tagging in GA and AdWords. You probably haven't tagged your campaigns properly and that's why you don't see conversions in your AdWords report.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thank you for your response. Below is the UTM that is appended to our thank you page URL. The full URL with the UTM code was copied and pasted straight from Google's URL builder into the AdWords Editor. Is there a setting I could be missing in the Editor by any chance? Like I mentioned, this is the only campaign where we've seen this issue.

utm_source=AdWords&utm_campaign=marketing_agency_search&utm_medium=search_ad&utm_content=marketing_services_ad_group_learn_more

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nick,

How's it going?

Is there any specific (technical) reason why you use UTM tags in your Final URL-s in AdWords instead of auto-tagging feature? Smiley Happy

Officially, it's not recommended. Read this article.

I would recommend using cpc, ppc or paidsearch as a medium and google as a source in this case. Another thing that you should make sure is that your parameters are not stripped off because of the redirect.

Hope this helps.

Taavi