Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM codes and incorrect landing pages

N/A
# 1
N/A

Hi, 

We're currently running a display advertising campaign that refers users to a specific landing page within our site. We've added a utm tracking code to the url in the display advert. 

For example - www.test.com?utm_source=display&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=sunshine  - This sends users to our landing page www.test.com

When I drill down into the report in GA under 'All campaigns > Campaign = sunshine' and I add secondary dimension 'Landing page' I see that as well as my campaign page (www.test.com) we have other landing pages recorded with this utm code?!?  

For example -  www.home.com?utm_source=display&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=sunshine

I know for certain that we have only used this utm code with the campaign landing page 'www.test.com', so I don't understand why these other landing pages are showing up in this report with the same utm code?!?

These other landing pages in the report are showing 0% of new sessions. Where as the campaign page 'www.test.com' shows % of new sessions close to 90%, which I would expect to see.

Is anyone able to provide some reasons as to why we might be seeing these other landing pages in our report?

Many thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

First, do you actually see the utm parameters in the report? You should not, if they correctly used, then GA by default removes them and changes the cookies source/medium to match the utm info. Which brings me to my second point - if I return to your site, after initially having come via the tagged link, then I will have a landing page but my attribution will still be the original campaign (assuming I do not come via organic, another referring site or anything other than direct or the same original link). Naturally, these subsequent sessions are not new.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

N/A
# 3
N/A

Hi John, 

Thanks for the reply.

We do not see the utm parameters in the report, GA removes them as you stated above so I'm confident we are using them correctly.

To your second point - are you saying that if someone visits the site via the tagged link, they then go away and come back again as a direct customer and land on a different landing page, this subsequent visit has the original utm campaign code attributed to it?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

yes - the attribution for that subsequent visit will match the campaign, and it will do for a 6 month period after their initial visit. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

N/A
# 5
N/A

Thanks again...that's really interesting to find out and explains a lot about why we have different landing pages under the one campaign code. 

So when you say it will stay like this for a 6 month period, is this unless they return to the site via another channel such as referral/organic/campaign during the 6 months in which case the utm code is overwritten?

Also, is this documented anywhere on the GA site? Is there any where I can find out more about this?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

no worries - this is often the reason that cpc campaigns can look like they are still active, it is simply returning visitors. As you delve into this, you'll find discussions about changing the campaign time out period to less than 6 months - this means it reverts to direct faster; this can be of advantageous, particularly when you have many campaigns that the same customer may be targeted with but will have an impact on your traffic trends, be sure you understand the consequences of this if you choose to do this.

To answer your question, yes - if they come back via another campaign, referring site etc then they will have new attribution for their visit. This is also the reason that the multichannel reports are so powerful; for example, your campaign may be the first touch I have with you and then, several days later, because of the campaign I then google your site and purchase something. This would be attributed to organic but, if I use the multichannel reports, I will be able to see that my campaign was also involved.

Here's some documentation:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage