Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Tag and Custom Segment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have FB ads running and have created utm tags as follows: 

utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=onnit%2020-29&utm_campaign=get%20the%20body%20desktop

I created a custom segment for this utm tag.  The issue is that when I view Behavior Flow for only this segment, other pages are shown as the landing page which I thought shouldn't be happening.  Please advise on why this is happening and how to fix this.  Thank you in advance for your help everyone!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM Tag and Custom Segment

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
When working with segments the data is being done at the session level so you are looking at the entire sessions activity. Filtering in this case would be the preffered method. As always the standard warning applies, if you are going to do filtering at the view level create a new view and do your filtering on that new view never do any filtering on your main view which is often called your RAW View. Once filering is applied at the view level any data filtered out can not be retrieved.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luc D
April 2016

Re: UTM Tag and Custom Segment

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It's possible because this values are saved in the visitor's browser for 6 months. So, If the user comes to the site via this link and then after some time, if the same user comes to the site directly and land on a different page, then this will be linked to these UTM tags.

You could use the specific landing page as the 2nd condition for your segment and then you should be able to see the data that only lands on the specific landing page for this UTM tags.