Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Parameter Lost due to m.site redirect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a mobile site (m.) and I have set up various UTM paramters and vanity urls that redirect to our home page (www.). However when someone clicks on the link if they are on mobile it redirects to the m.site and the UTM parameter is lost. 

SInce these are various efforts and not specific mobile, I can't set up a UTM specific to m.site since it would send the user to a mobile version on desktop. 

Is there anyway to implement UTM parameters that would stay for both www site and m.site? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM Parameter Lost due to m.site redirect

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Redirection rules, including preserving query parameters, has to be configured at the web server.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So my web company would need to set up "what kind of rules" that would preserve the UTM? Is that what you mean?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
If someone comes to your website (www.example.com) on a mobile browser, there is some software running on the server that redirects the visitor to the mobile site (m.example.com).

That software - either as a part of your web server configuration or a script running on the web server - is not preserving the query string data properly when it redirects. That is why you lose the UTM parameters. Who ever manages the software on your web server needs to make the corrections so that the UTM parameters are preserved. Normally, most redirection implementations preserve query string data, so its hard to tell what was incorrectly configured on your web server. But that is where it needs to be fixed.