Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Codes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Back in October, I created some UTM tags to use in a newsletter that was sent out company wide. Each tag had a very specific URL attached to it.

I am still getting traffic attributed to the campaigns associated with those tags today. For example, a newsletter was sent out today and it is already showing some traffic attributed to the October Newsletter campaign. The URLs in today's newsletter are all different. I didn't even use UTMs in today's newsletter.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it? (In case it makes a difference, the URLs are located on an Intranet and mostly being directed from Outlook.)

Thanks!

UTM Codes

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This could be an issue with your email campaign software. For example, if you manually added these links to the email, but your email campaign software (MailChimp, Constant Contact) campaign settings already had UTM parameters specified, they could be appending them as well. 

Do you have any examples of the links you sent out?

Make sure to always test your emails and click those links and watch the Real Time reports in Google Analytics to see what Source/Mediums/Campaigns are being sent over.