Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

URLs with Tracking Parameters Showing Up in Page Title Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am pointing various advertisements to a particular page, and in my Page Title Reports I'm sporadically seeing the full advertising URL listed as a page title. I've been using the standard utm parameters to track advertisements for awhile now and this is the first time this has happened. 

For example, the two pages circled below are the same page with the same page title. Shouldn't all of my advertising traffic to that page just roll into the overall pageview count for the "INTECH U.S. Managed Volatility Fund - Approach - Janus Mutual Funds" count? What am I doing wrong that the URLs are appearing as a separate Page Title?

Page Title Example.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: URLs with Tracking Parameters Showing Up in Page Title Report

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Megan,

This is odd behavior to say the least. If you are absolutely certain that those are the same pages then I would suspect that somehow the page title is being set at the URL. That would lead down the path of some code on your site that does this as GA would not make this substitution and would instead report "not set" if the title data was missing. Perhaps have one of your developers take a look at the page.

In short, while I'm not crazy about your UTM values (beauty is in the eye of the beholder Smiley Happy ), I don't think it's anything you are doing. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: URLs with Tracking Parameters Showing Up in Page Title Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theo! I will check with our developers to see if that is setting it as the page title.