Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

URLs being appended with index.php in reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having a problem with index.php being appended to my URLs in the GA Reports, beginning for traffic on 6/15.

I'm running Wordpress. I had not changed any SEO or URL related plugin at that time.

My URLs display as mydomain.com/post-id/my-post-name/ or mydomain.com/my-page-name/ (Wordpress has 'posts' and 'pages', but the URL format is similar for both). This is consistent in my browser, in my sitemap, and in the Google SERPs still to this day. Prior to 6/15 the GA Reports showed this format too. Starting on 6/15 the traffic began showing for all pages with index.php appended at the end. So the continuity of my reports is disrupted.

What could be causing this in GA? How can I reverse it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author squeebo
June 2016

Re: URLs being appended with index.php in reports

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Go to your view settings and remove /index.php from the Default URL box.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

Can you share the URL of your site?

I would remove the tracking code and reinstall it from scratch. A 'default' of Wordpress is to make the URLS /index.php/page-name so if you used a plugin to install your GA before making a change to the permalinks this may be the issue.

Seeing your site URL would let us check what's being sent to Google Analytics since there may be a custom setting that's adding the index.php

Ali
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author squeebo
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Go to your view settings and remove /index.php from the Default URL box.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan