Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

URLs are Prepended with Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having an issue with a dashboard for a site with a different domain than the domain the Property is for.

So the Property's domain is www.mywebsite.com and I made a dashboard for www.related.mywebsite.com within that Property.

When I click on any of the link arrows next to the urls that come up in the widgets' data in www.related.mywebsite.com, they are prepended with that main domain www.mywebsite.com. So an example of one url is www.mywebsite.comrelated.mywebsite.com/courses

Is this happening because the domains are different and in the same Property? Or is there a way to filter that out? Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Just our of curiosity, what do each of the URLs look like in your reports before you click on the outbound link arrow?

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They look normal in the widget's data like www.related.mywebsite.com/courses so I never caught it before I showed the report.

But when I showed the report to my coworker, she clicked on the little go-to arrows and they would all go to like www.mywebsite.comrelated.mywebsite.com/courses for example. They all had that prepending on them.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

You have a filter set up that includes the domain name in the records.

Without the filter it would be recorded like /courses

The go-to arrow is coded so it prepends the Website URL from your view settings to the page path. You are getting the doubled URL in the browser because of this. This does not affect your data collection, it's just a functionality of the interface that is designed to work with no domain name in the records. Unfortunately there is no solution for this, either delete the prepended domain name from the browser when you open a page using the go-to arrow, or create another view without the filter to use this feature.

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! Well I have to have a filter for hostname on every widget to show only data for www.related.mywebsite.com otherwise it will show data for www.mywebsite.com. So it sounds like there's no solution for this but to make www.related.mywebsite.com its own property, correct? And then the go-to arrows would link to www.related.mywebsite.com/courses ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CLauren123 C
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

No, you can use the same property and create separate views for each. Use include only filters on the views:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en#PredefinedFilters

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital