Analytics
3.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

URL Builder - website not accepting the UTM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Analytic novice here and I'm having some trouble finguring out why my website does not accept the UTM that the Google URL Builder creates. 

The UTM that is generated reads: http://mywebsite.com/?utm_source=xxx&utm_medium=popup&utm_campaign=testing2016

But once the link is clicked the extra code is not displayed in the address bar, just www.mywebsite.com. 
I'm assuming because of this, there is no campaign listed under Aquisition. 

I have had this 'campaign' up and running for more than 48hrs and I've tried replacing the '?' with a '#' which keeps the special code, but again it does not register in analytics.

Is it my website, the site's theme, that may be blocking this? If is, how to I change that?

Any help, suggestions, would be much apprecitated.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: URL Builder - website not accepting the UTM

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Traveling,

It would definitely appear that there is something happening on your site. Have you tested the URLs that have the parameters with and without www.?

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If reading this correctly, yes.
If I remove the question mark altogether I get a '404' page and if I change
the question mark to a '#' the campaign doesn't register in analytics.

Is there a plugin or something I can do to my website that will allow it to
accept the UTM url?

TG

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'm sorry, you may have misunderstood.

I meant with and without the www. not a reference to the ?

I would check two different versions of your tagged URL

One with the www

http://www.mywebsite.com/?utm_source=xxx&utm_medium=popup&utm_campaign=testing2016

one without the www.

http://mywebsite.com/?utm_source=xxx&utm_medium=popup&utm_campaign=testing2016

Is there any difference in how the parameters (all the stuff beyond the ?) are treated? Are they stripped in one or both iterations?

I have a hunch that you may have a redirect or something in place and the parameters are not passing over.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the clarification.

I've removed the 'www' and so far it seems to have worked. I haven't
checked analytics yet, but when clicked the UTM's have stayed in place.

Thank you so very much for you help Tommy!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Traveling G
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
No problem. I think this is pretty common to have one version of the domain redirect to the preferred version and it looks like in your case, the parameters are not carried over.

Good Luck!

-Tommy