Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

UA onsite Search is not working anymore for no reasons

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From one night  to another the onsite search reports in my Views don't show any data.

Neither the query parameter for search terms has been changed nor the configuration in the View Settings. 

It would be great if anybody could tell me how to debug the search term in pageview request (maybe via Tag-debugger) or if anybody of you has or had the same issue as me.

Best Sarah  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UA onsite Search is not working anymore for no reasons

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Sarah,

Hard to troubleshoot with actually looking at the data and site. You have already identified the main culprits and it seems they are working as expected. Is it possible that you received no searches or there was a technical problem with the search functionality.

As far as troubleshooting, all you are looking for is the search string to be exposed in the URL with the proper param. E.g. /search?q=oranges and then verifying that the query string is in your view settings as q
It should just work.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

first thing I've checked was a technical issue but everything is working as the day before. Query-Parameter did not change and is passed to analytics still (tag debugger + Javascript Console say so)

Theo Bennett wrote:
Hi Sarah,

Hard to troubleshoot with actually looking at the data and site. You have already identified the main culprits and it seems they are working as expected. Is it possible that you received no searches or there was a technical problem with the search functionality.

As far as troubleshooting, all you are looking for is the search string to be exposed in the URL with the proper param. E.g. /search?q=oranges and then verifying that the query string is in your view settings as q
It should just work.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Best,

Theo Bennett

when I removed the filters, the search terms started to come in again. Seems like a strange behavior I know.

Do you may have any other suggestions?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Sarah,

Are you saying that you added a filter to the view? Or did you filter the query parameters in the view settings but outside of the "strip query parameters" checkbox option in the site search setting?

If you excluded the query params in the "Exclude URL Query Parameters" input box in the view settings then that is likely the cause. If; however, you ticked the checkbox for "Strip query ..URL" I would not expect any issues.

In any event, I'm glad it's working again for you!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn