Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Two similar pages swapping organic traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site has two pages for an area, an optimized organic landing page and a empty PPC landing page that has no optimizations. In the past few weeks, we've noticed a considerable drop in organic traffic for the page that has been optimized, and a sudden increase in organic traffic on the PPC landing page. It's almost like it's swapped organic traffic.

• The organic traffic page has been around longer.
  • The PPC page is not linked to anywhere on the site, but is accessible in the xml sitemap. 
  • A "site:" search for the domain and the relevant keyword displays the organic page over the PPC page.
  • The organic page authority is higher than the PPC page according to Open Site Explorer.  

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, is there any explanation or fix that you can think of to help guide the search engines back to the proper page? 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Two similar pages swapping organic traffic.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I dont usually include ppc landing pages in sitemaps and I also usually set them as noindex both on the page itself and in the robots.txt file.

Your question seems to relate mainly to seo, you may also want to ask on the Webmaster Central Help Forum where they specialize in SEO questions and issues
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here