Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Two different sets of data for referrals -- AND two different sets of data for social

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why are there drastic differences in the traffic totals for both referrals and social data? (same property, same time span, all the same settings). What's odd is GA seems to use the same label for these, but you get there via different steps. I'm guessing there are different definitions for these two terms/labels that are exactly the same.

Example: 
REFERRALS:
1. Aquisition >> All traffic >> Referrals (311,164) vs.
2. Aquisition >> All traffic >> Channels >> Referrals (30,939)

SOCIAL:
1. Acquisition >> Social >> Overview (125,433) vs.
2. Acquisition >> All Traffic >>Channels >> Social 24,129

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Re: Two different sets of data for referrals -- AND two different sets of data for social

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Robert F

I have compared data for one of my accounts and found:

REFERRALS:
1. Aquisition >> All traffic >> Referrals (5,417) - this is all Referrals Sessions
2. Aquisition >> All traffic >> Channels >> Referrals (3,832) - this is Referrals Sessions excluding Social

SOCIAL:
1. Acquisition >> Social >> Overview (1,601) - this is Sessions via Social Referral
2. Acquisition >> All Traffic >>Channels >> Social (1,601) - this is Sessions only from Social Channels

The labels are same but since they are under different categories they serve different data sets / filters, 

If we do the maths, the data does makes sense as well.

Hope that helps!

Thank you.