Analytics
6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Twitterfeed in "other" in channel report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

When I go to my channel report, I get the result for all my channels including social as usual but this month, I have a high number under "other". When I click on "other", most of the sessions come under "twitterfeed". This has never happened before. 

What is this twittefeed channel? And if it is linked to Twitter why don't the sessions come under "Twitter" in the "social" channel.

Help please?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Twitterfeed in "other" in channel report

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Stephanie G,

The channel reports that are predefined by GA are looking for expected values from the medium value that is tagged in your links or is discerned from the HTTP Referrer if no utm tagging is present .

If these values do not match a known or expected pattern then they are dropped in the "other" bucket; as in, "other than expected."

If you look at what's collected for the social channel it's either a referral from a known social source or a medium of social. In your case it does not match the expected pattern(s). You can see how your data is tagged by selecting source/medium as a secondary dimension in the Acquisition>>All Traffic>>Channels report after you've drilled into your "Other" channel.

I would correct my tagging to pass a utm parameter of social for utm_medium or a less desirable option would be to create a custom channel definition to add in twitterfeed as a source to your social channel. This can be done from the Acquisition>>Overview report by selecting "Edit Channel Grouping" or from your admin view settings.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Twitterfeed in "other" in channel report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help Theo.

Steph