Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Twitter link clicks don't match Twitter sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have what I think is a simple question.

Looking at weekly data, the number of Twitter link clicks is sometimes higher than the number of Twitter sessions in Google Analytics. I don't understand how this can be -- where are the clicks going?

I understand how AdWords are measured in a long sequence, and that the click is recorded before the AdWord session. But these aren't ads. This is simply a matter of clicking a URL in a tweet and being sent directly to that page. 

Does anyone know why would the numbers wouldn't match?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Twitter link clicks don't match Twitter sessions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Jason,

There are a lot of factors at play here.

1. The user could click on the link but then bail before the site loads.

2. Are you tagging these links with UTM parameters or simply letting Twiiter lead to the site? If utm tagging is not used, you may see traffic as referral or direct when using link shortners etc.

Resource here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Twitter link clicks don't match Twitter sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Theo. I'm not sure that's the total solution, but it helps.

Two weeks ago, we had 5,000 Twitter clicks (according to Twitter) and about 3,200 sessions coming from Twitter (according to Google Analytics). That's 1,800 people bailing before the site loads, about 260 people a day. That seems high to me, but not impossible, I guess.

Almost always, we are using UTM tagging. It's automatically generated through our scheduling system (SocialFlow) and I can confirm there's campaign/source/medium in the URLs. Occasionally I post something directly, but that wouldn't account for 260 non-sessions a day. And if some sessions are showing up as referrals or direct, there's no way to know how many of the those two categories are "really" Twitter clicks.

So maybe those two answers put together offer a solution to the mystery.

Thank you again for your help. If you have any other ideas, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jason