Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Trying to show Returning Users by Month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Scenario:  I am trying to create a chart\table that shows Returning users by month. 

Problem:  When I do the following..

Select "Users" and "User Type", the number of returning users is 3000.  

If I add Month to my selection, so its now as follows.  " Users", "User Type", "Month of Year"..i now see returning users by month..The problem is that if I add up the returning users for each month i am getting a total of 4000 users.

Somebody help me!!!!!! Smiley Sad

Nigel

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Nigel,

This is because before you add 'Month of Year' to the selection you are looking at all returning users, regardless of how many times they visited or when they visited.

However, by adding 'Month of Year' to the selection, you will be essentially double counting Users as the same user could visit in multiple months.

Worth noting, a user will only be counted as a New User once.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nigel N
July

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

What you can't do is have a total for a number of months then split by month and see the sum of each month equal the total returning users.

This however doesn't take away the validity of the returning users count in month or as a total. It's just the nature of the way Google tracks users.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

so does this mean that a returning user will be counted more then once? that is, when i add Month of Year? so the returning user can show up only once in a month, but can show up again in another month?