Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Trying to segment data by event action

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I searched the forum and haven't been able to find this scenario addressed.  We've set up event tracking on specific events, and I'd like to be able to report/filter data on users that are triggering those events.  For example, I have an event set up for users that initiate a chat session.  How can I filter data on users that have initiated a chat session, based on that event label?  I'd like to be able to see if users that initiate a chat session are logging in, converting, visiting the FAQ page, etc.  I haven't been able to determine how to do that using segments and wondering if I need to head down a different path.

Thanks much,

Kip

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kip,

Here is how you can create the segment to only include sessions that have included the specific event action. 

1) Click +Add Segment and select new segment

2) Name your segment something and then go under 'Advanced' and select 'Conditions'

3) Under conditions filter use 'sessions' + 'include' and in the first drop down (your dimension drop down) select 'Event Action'

4) Choose exactly matches, type in the desired value (case sensitive) and hit save

This should get you what you need. Under conditions you can add additional qualifiers, depending on how you want to isolate the users/traffic. In addition to just creating a general event action segment, here is a good article about creating sequence segments. http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/04/04/sequence-segments-more-accurate-reporting/

Best,

Jordan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Jordan, thank you very much.  I was missing "Event Action" in step 3.  Greatly appreciate it.