Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Transactions missing from API request (but appear on UI)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

UPDATE: Solved, we were using the Query Explorer to test the queries and failed to notice that only 1000 rows appear. Man Indifferent

We're currently exporting (daily) our transactions and noticed that a few transaction IDs are missing from the export even though they appear on the UI.

Any reasons why this would happen?

Notes:

• No sampling ~ 20k sessions per day
  • Correct date - checked with back-end systems, also tried a wider date range just in case it was "lost"
  • API calls tried with a multitude of metrics just in case, pageviews, hits, anything really
  • (Missing) Transactions also appear on Custom Reports

Thanks,

Vitor L 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Reproduce the exact same fields as in your custom report; do not include any other fields, filters or segments. It could be something like adding a product name or category causes a transaction to drop -- this may be because the specific field has no value, and that field may not support the concept of (not set) values, so by including the field in the report, you exclude all transactions that do not have a value to report.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

I'm using the exact same fields, no segments or filters applied at any point.

Thanks,

V

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Can you list the fields you are using to I can run some tests with the API?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Simply "transaction ID" and transactions. I also tried hits, transactionrevenue, pageviews, and a few other metrics to try exposing the missing transactions but no luck.

Regards,

V

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

if you vary or shorten the date range, do the missing transactions appear?  What range of dates are you using?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope, they do not appear if I wide the date range. I've tried now a week going back and forth.

V

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

If you drop it down to a single day, are the same transactions missing? i.e Is it something about those specific transactions that make them different?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, I now found out what was missing and I just feel utterly dumb. I was using the data query explorer and I was pointed out that:

• Results showing:1000
  • Total results found:1700

Arghhhhhhhhh, created a simple export with Python and everything is there. 

Thank you for your time.