Analytics
4.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Traffic report for page with multiple URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a page whose URL was originally: www.domain.com/section1/section2/pagename

We restructured our site so that page now has a URL of: www.domain.com/section1/section2/section3/pagename

Both URLs are still active and open the page. When I plug each URL into GA to get traffic reports, the numbers are different. (I assume because different amounts of people are using the 2 urls to access the page?)

How can I create a report that would gather the traffic for both URLs to the page instead of 2 individual reports?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Traffic report for page with multiple URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

Unfortunately you cannot combine the data for the two URLs retroactively.
For future data you need to 301 redirect the old URL to the new one so when a user enters your site through the old URL the web server will redirect him to the new URL and GA will record visits only to the new URL.
Please read more about 301 redirects in the document below.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/93633?hl=en
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Traffic report for page with multiple URLs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It's probably as you guess it is: different amount of users use different URLs to access your page so reports differ in numbers.
If you'd like to see it all under new page structure maybe setting redirection from old structure pages to their equivalent in new structure would be best option here + removing old structure links from any sources that may be using it.