Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Traffic not getting attributed to city

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For the last couple of months, i am seeing a lot of traffic being attributed city 'not set' and during the same period one of my top traffic contributing cities is showing a huge dip in traffic. When i add the traffic of 'not set' and the city which is losing traffic the result is close to my top performing cities.

Can someone help me analyse why i am seeing a drop in only for one city and how to rectify the 'not set' attribution.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Traffic not getting attributed to city

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Almost certainly an external change in how IP addresses are reported. For example, explanation at the end of this post, for example: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/03/19/locations-report-google-analytics/

Check to see whether it's mobile traffic, or from a particular network - this can also indicate a change in how IP addresses are managed. 

The only change from within your GA account that I can think of is if new filters had been put in place. The IP anonymisation in Google Analytics should cause (not set) to appear.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.