Analytics
2.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Traffic missing when viewing date range, but there if viewing single day

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have Google Analytics tracking code installed properly on one of our websites. When we view the Behavior Overview or Audience Overview for the month of July 2016, there is a span of four days where traffic is 0 -- July 21-24. However, if we select only one of those days as our date range (ex. July 21, 2016 - July, 21 2016), we see traffic. This traffic does not seem to be included in the July (entire month) totals for sessions, page views, etc.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there any reason this would be happening? Traffic seemed to resume as normal on July 25 without any intervention from us.

Update: We are wondering if this is correlated to our Google Analytics account having been inadvertently deleted the afternoon of July 25. We promptly restored it, but this gap in traffic is present in a couple other accounts as well (which also were inadvertently, temporarily deleted). Is there anything we can do about this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Traffic missing when viewing date range, but there if viewing single day

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Bree,

Just curious: Do you have a segment applied when you see this? If so, it's probably a by-product of sampling.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thank you for the response. I don't have a segment applied, just viewing All Users. If I apply a segment, the problem persists (same thing where the traffic looks like / counts as 0 if I'm viewing the month, but if I view individual days, I see traffic).

Thanks!
Bree

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Bree,

So when you hover over those days in the timeline you see 0 sessions and you are getting no sampling?

Very odd behavior and I suppose it could have something to do with your account "deletion" but I would not expect to see no data and then some when drilled in.

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo,

Correct. See screenshots below. I agree that it's odd that viewing different date ranges yields different results. If the data was gone, I would expect it to be gone when I viewed just the day too.

Thanks!

Bree

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 10.33.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-11 at 10.33.13 AM.png

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Very interesting indeed. If you'd like you can post this as a bug here:

https://code.google.com/p/analytics-issues/issues/list

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Theo.

I posted as a bug here: https://code.google.com/p/analytics-issues/issues/detail?id=1043.

Thanks,
Bree