Analytics
6.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking visitor flow from Domain to Sub-domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wanted to understand how I can track visits, visitors and understand their flow from a domain to a sub-domain when there are 2 different views for the same.

To give more context, it's basically going from a blog to E-commerce store to understand which blogs could be driving visitors to go to the product pages of the store.

Eg: "website.com"(1) is the blog, and "store.website.com"(2) is the store. There are separate views for 1 and 2.

Q - How can I track visitors coming into 2 from 1?

I have tried - Previous page path, next page path, source/medium and the regular medthods but not able to figure out how to track this.

All feedback will be highly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would suggest to use the navigation summary report in a view that includes visits from both the domain and the subdomain.

Please check the article below about the navigation summary report:

http://online-metrics.com/how-to-turn-the-navigation-summary-report-into-actionable-insights/

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the reply! I checked the blogpost and the navigation summary.

I had actually seen it before also - and it's great to see the flow in a better manner. But, it only talks about pages in that view only (can be sub-domain or domain) but not across it.

I want to see the flow of visitor and pages from blog -> ecommerce store - which are separate views in GA.

How do I get this done? Any other ways?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Can anyone please help or guide in getting this tracking work done?

Would be Highly appreciated! 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

As I mentioned, for this you need a view that includes data from both the subdomain and the domain.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thanks again for the update! 

Just a quick thing - We cannot combine these views/properties and they will remain separate for now. I understand that referral exclusion is done for all sub-domains and domains - so no tracking is feasible.

I was looking at alternatives to track from which blog - product pages are viewed and so on for different views/properties.

- Can I do this via UTM parameters or some other referral variables?

- Any other tool/products I can use to do this kind of sub-domain - domain level tracking across views/properties respectively?

Let me know if you know of any workaround - appreciate all the help!