Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking visitor flow from Domain to Sub-domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wanted to understand how I can track visits, visitors and understand their flow from a domain to a sub-domain when there are 2 different views for the same.

To give more context, it's basically going from a blog to E-commerce store to understand which blogs could be driving visitors to go to the product pages of the store.

Eg: "website.com"(1) is the blog, and "store.website.com"(2) is the store. There are separate views for 1 and 2.

Q - How can I track visitors coming into 2 from 1?

I have tried - Previous page path, next page path, source/medium and the regular medthods but not able to figure out how to track this.

All feedback will be highly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would suggest to use the navigation summary report in a view that includes visits from both the domain and the subdomain.

Please check the article below about the navigation summary report:

http://online-metrics.com/how-to-turn-the-navigation-summary-report-into-actionable-insights/

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the reply! I checked the blogpost and the navigation summary.

I had actually seen it before also - and it's great to see the flow in a better manner. But, it only talks about pages in that view only (can be sub-domain or domain) but not across it.

I want to see the flow of visitor and pages from blog -> ecommerce store - which are separate views in GA.

How do I get this done? Any other ways?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Can anyone please help or guide in getting this tracking work done?

Would be Highly appreciated! 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

As I mentioned, for this you need a view that includes data from both the subdomain and the domain.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thanks again for the update! 

Just a quick thing - We cannot combine these views/properties and they will remain separate for now. I understand that referral exclusion is done for all sub-domains and domains - so no tracking is feasible.

I was looking at alternatives to track from which blog - product pages are viewed and so on for different views/properties.

- Can I do this via UTM parameters or some other referral variables?

- Any other tool/products I can use to do this kind of sub-domain - domain level tracking across views/properties respectively?

Let me know if you know of any workaround - appreciate all the help!