Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking users/events that came in through Paid Search, but returned via Direct?

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey guys,

I'm running a Paid Search campaign that I can track in Analytics.

However I'm curious about something - If a user comes to my website via Paid Search, then leaves...

A few days later he comes back to my website, either via directly typing in the URL, or by doing a Google Search but clicking on the organic search result, and let's say he triggers 3 specific events on my page. Will those 3 specific events be attributed to Paid Search, or Direct/Google?

Is there somewhere in the Analytics settings where I am able to track users who came in through Paid Search, as long as they came in via Paid Search within the last 30 days?

Tracking users/events that came in through Paid Search, but returned via Direct?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

All the regular reports in Google Analytics use non-last direct click attribution model.

Basically, if a user came to your site via Paid Search and then left. After a few days later he came back via Google Organic Search and converted, Google Analytics attributes the conversion to Google Organic.

Examples:

Paid Search > Direct > Organic > Conversion --> the conversion will be attributed to Organic
Paid Search > Direct > Conversion --> the conversion will be attributed to Paid Search
Paid Search > Organic > Direct > the conversion --> the conversion will be attributed to Organic

If you take a look at the Model Comparison Tool in Google Analytics, you'll be able to compare how different attribution models impact the valuation of your marketing channels. Most marketers don't use it, but it's really important if you'd like to see more meaningful data.

Multi-Channel Funnels report is really useful as well. For example, In the Multi-Channel Funnels reports, if direct traffic (i.e., a user used a bookmark or typed your site URL into his or her browser) converts, the conversion is attributed to the Direct channel. This differs from other Analytics reports in which the conversion is attributed to the previous non-direct campaign or source, if there is one.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Taavi