Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking url traffic and channel grouping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We've recently started adding tracking urls to our posts that are being sent out via hootsuite to our social media channels but the traffic back to the site is now being grouped as 'Other' in the Channels report rather than social. Is there a reason that this is now happening? Do we need to adjust or create a filter so that this traffic is included in 'Social'?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking url traffic and channel grouping

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Emma,

A few questions & comments:
#1 - What does your UTM URL look like? Is your UTM_Medium=social (make sure the "social" is all lowercase)? If not, I strongly recommend that you do this.
#2 - Did you integrate your Hoote Suite account with Universal Analytics? I believe this is an option.
#3 - No you do NOT need to create another filter to see your social media traffic in your all data property but consider perhaps creating a 'segment' or a 'filter' for your social media traffic anayways.
#4 - Are you using a URL shortner? If so, which? And how are you using it?

For more info on 'default channel groupings' please read here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’