Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking the source of an install event that led to future uninstall

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a Chrome extension that can be downloaded from my website.

At the moment, I am trying to find where the users who installed and then uninstalled the extension are mainly coming from (social networks/referral, google/cpc, etc).

We are currently tracking extension installs on the landing page the users get to see upon installation (web page visit) and tracking the uninstall event via the uninstall page where users land/visit upon uninstallation.

I can get to see the Source of installations but if I set up a custom report and cross the Source/Medium dimension with the uninstalled webpage as the "landing page" or “pageview" metrics, I seem to get to see only the last tracked page a user has visited before they clicked the "remove extension” button, which still doesn’t answer to the question: which website were they in when they heard about the extension and decided to install it in the first place?

I’ve tried to cross different data such as "referral path" dimension and the “pageviews” metrics for the uninstall web page. Still, what I get are websites where the user could have visited just before the uninstall event (instead, I want to see where they’ve been just before the install event).

Also, if I check the behavior flowchart, more than 80% of the visits to the “uninstalls” webpage are shown as “entrances” and I don’t get to see a connection between the install event and the uninstall event.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing when analysing these data/custom reports or how I can get the answer to my question?

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ana M
January 2016

Re: Tracking the source of an install event that led to future uninsta

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

it is little bit hard to follow your questions between install and uninstall but essentially you would like to see where those users come from that do not keep your extension?

Without login and the use of User Id you have just bunch of users who installed your extension and bunch of users who uninstalled it. So there are inaccuracies with the following approach:
Create an Advanced Segment and use Sequences. Include Users that in Step 1 visited the installation thank-you page and Step 2 visited uninstallation sorry-to-see-you-go page.

Lookback period is max 90 days. so if someone installed your extension 91 days from now, he won't get counted, this of course you are looking time period longer than 90 days.

Now look at Acquisition - All Traffic - Source/Medium and you should see which sources send you unsatisfied users.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your answer!

Indeed, what I want to know is what is the main source of unhappy users.

I did follow your advice and created an advanced segment using the sequences tool. When it comes to set up sequences, I found out I could not use page views as a way of filtering pageviews since the installation thank-you page and the uninstallation sorry-to-see-you-go page URL's are dinamically created and the common bit is just /installed and /uninstalled. Instead, I decided to use the page title as a way of filtering those sessions.

At the moment, I get to see 3 sources of users who installed and uninstalled the extension and one of the sources is a particular website where my extension loads but where users cannot really find a link to follow to get into my website. As the amount of installations for which I cannot really understand their source is very very small, I am thinking if it's possible that someone using this extension at a particular website and then removing it from the Chrome Settings page (without closing the previous tab) and then visiting my homepage and downloading the extension again would be tracked as a user which traffic source is that website where the extension originally loaded.

What do you think?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I don't know the process so well that I could be sure but extension load site might show as a source because of the redirect.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As the source of the traffic to a particular page seems to be the last page the user has visited before entering a particular webpage, not necessarily by being referred through a link, I think so too!

Thanks for all your help!