Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking multiple url's under the same campaign with Google's URL Builder

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there!

I am looking to use the Google URL builder to measure a newsletters success rate.

I noticed that the first field is where you add the link to what site you are tracking. 

My question is, if you have a newsletter that contains two links  pointing to separate landing pages but from the same campaign, how do you measure this so that it shows up under the same campaign in Google Analytics?

Do I have to use the URL builder twice for each link, but reference the same data for the newsletter under "Campaign Name"?

Thanks
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thomas Juhani W
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Use utm_content to differentiate the links.

"utm_content: Used to differentiate similar content, or links within the same ad. For example, if you have two call-to-action links within the same email message, you can use utm_content and set different values for each so you can tell which version is more effective."

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863#parameters

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Thomas, 

You're good to go with reporting as long as the Campaign name is the same for both links. If you're not using Content or Term, you can actually just copy and past the UTM string for source, medium, and campaign and attach to the end of your links. Just make sure to switch our the "?" with "&" if your base link already has a "?" attached. 

Or, you can do as you mentioned in your post and just change out the first link. Either way works - just make sure source/medium/campaign stays the same for each link. 

Best,

Mike 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thats great thanks for your help