Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking events

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the events I see in the behavior menu:

1. I have a couple of events tracked in my website that I can't find anywhere in the events table. I see the events are sent properly using the GA debug extension.

2. I have a lot of events with category "undefined" - why does that happen?

Can you please advise?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maya M
February 2017

Tracking events

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ok.. im a bit confused by the tracking code setup.

There is a tracking code snippet on the page for tracking id UA-60196298-1
But.. 
There is also an analytics tag setup in Google Tag Manager for the same tracking ID UA-60196298-1
but that is not firing the tracking. 

Tracking code would usually be setup via one method or the other.. not both.

How is the event tracking setup? Via GTM? as im not seeing any event tracking on the button/link itself.
When i test it i get the following: 

ga_debug.js:29 _gaq.push processing "_trackEvent" for args: "[Start For Free Click]":
ga_debug.js:29 Track Event

The problem with this though is that event Category and event Action are both required parameters with label and value being optional. So you may want to check how the event is setup/configured as it would seem the event Category is possibly not being picked up which would likely explain why you are seeing category "undefined".

You may also want to possibly update to the current Universal Analytics version of the tracking code at some point too. It will enable you to use new analytics features as they are released and some of the existing features are universal analytics specific too.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Tracking events

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sounds like a possible coding issue of some sort.

Are you able to provide a link to one of the pages that have the events that aren't showing up in the reports properly,

and also some info re how the events are being triggered eg a click to x button.. or click on x link etc

it will allow one of us to take a peek via browser at other possible code issues with the page that might be affecting the events.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Tracking events

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response!

Link: https://www.safedk.com/in_app_protection

Trigger event: Click on "START FOR FREE" button

Console: _gaq.push processing "_trackEvent" for args: "[Start For Free Click]": 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maya M
February 2017

Tracking events

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ok.. im a bit confused by the tracking code setup.

There is a tracking code snippet on the page for tracking id UA-60196298-1
But.. 
There is also an analytics tag setup in Google Tag Manager for the same tracking ID UA-60196298-1
but that is not firing the tracking. 

Tracking code would usually be setup via one method or the other.. not both.

How is the event tracking setup? Via GTM? as im not seeing any event tracking on the button/link itself.
When i test it i get the following: 

ga_debug.js:29 _gaq.push processing "_trackEvent" for args: "[Start For Free Click]":
ga_debug.js:29 Track Event

The problem with this though is that event Category and event Action are both required parameters with label and value being optional. So you may want to check how the event is setup/configured as it would seem the event Category is possibly not being picked up which would likely explain why you are seeing category "undefined".

You may also want to possibly update to the current Universal Analytics version of the tracking code at some point too. It will enable you to use new analytics features as they are released and some of the existing features are universal analytics specific too.

Tracking events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot! The problem was really the event action missing.