AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking chat leads on Intercom with GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've tried searching for a solution but there doesn't seem to be much info about this online. Has anyone else tried using Intercom Acquire on their websites? And if so, how do you connect your chat data to Google Analytics? 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Angeli,

I've tried searching myself for a long time and like you can't find a solution to push Intercom conversations as events into GA.

I've spoken to their support as well, but they unfortunately can't provide a solution at present.

Looking at their Javascript reference (https://developers.intercom.com/docs/intercom-javascript#section-intercomonshow) there aren't any relevant events I can see that would work.

For this reason I'm now trailing Drift for clients. They have a Javascript library that has one event which specifically caters for Google Analytics - which is "startConversation" (http://help.drift.com/developer-docs/widget-events-to-send-to-things-like-google-analytics).

So far this seems to do the job perfectly for me, and I can now see which channels are converting for live chat alongside email and phone calls all within my Google Analytics accounts.

Hope this helps.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Angeli, 

I've also come across the same problem. Intercom doesn't have a solution but I found a partial work around using Zapier.com. Zapier allows you to fire an analytics event when an intercom chat is started. The only caveat is Zapier use the measurement protocol to send the hit to analytics thus it's sent as direct rather than the actual channel that sent it. 

It's fine if you just need a total number of chats but if you want a breakdown by channel then doesn't work as well. I'd love to hear if there's any other workarounds to this. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

That's always a pain. That's why I advice my customers who wants a tchat to use Zopim by Zendesk. It sends Google Analytics events for each interaction. A pleasure for the analysts we are Smiley Happy