Analytics
2.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking URL Interfering with Determining Source Traffic

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a request from my boss to find where the display traffic for one of our campaigns is coming from. The problem, however, is that when I created my tracking URL for my campaign the source was specified as "GeneralFall" (we're promoting 4 landing pages across multiple social channels and display) and "WineTour" as the medium (to help us track performance by social ads vs display ads). 

I have looked in analytics and am coming up empty handed when I attempt to find out where (the site the ad is displayed on) my traffic is coming from. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking URL Interfering with Determining Source Traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
There is an older post of the LunaMetrics blog (no affiliation, just a regular reader) with an example you could easily adapt to fix your problem. See http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/06/11/campaign-tracking-dynamic-source/ and scroll down to "What do you mean you don’t use Google Tag Manager?!" - the code example and explanation follows.