Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Social Media

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm looking at my social media reports in Google Analytics and trying to get an idea of where the traffic is coming from. Seems there are a variety of urls that the social media sites use. My questions are, is there a resource that would list all of the urls that social media traffic could come from? Also, is there a way to account for traffic coming from apps? Lastly, I'm not really sure if lnkd.in is really Linkedin?

Linkedin (linkedin.com)
Linkedin (lnkd.in)
Twitter (t.co)
Twitter (not set)
Facebook (facebook.com)
Facebook (m.facebook.com)
Facebook (i.facebook.com)
Facebook (lm.facebook.com)
Google Plus (plus.google.com)
Google Plus (plus.url.google.com)

Thanks

-Brandon

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon C
June 2016

Re: Tracking Social Media

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brandon,

Most of social media traffic is classified as that by Google Analytics out of the box - see the Acquisition > all traffic > channels report. Look for 'social' and insert 'source/medium' as secondary dimension (second column) to check the social-channel definitions.

If you spotted some social-media referrers missing in the social channel, you could change that in default-channel settings [1].

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6010097?hl=en#edit_default_channel_grouping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, I've never used the Channels report before. I didn't like the reports under Acquisition > Social because I couldn't change the "Conversions" to the goals that I have created.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi webfield! 

I am stuck in a similar situation. I want to show all my social traffic (sessions) on a graph but, the graph becomes a rainbow as there are bunch of social platforms. 

I want to show a single line representing the ups and downs in overall social traffic (not from individual social referrer) in the graph. I'm not much familiar with how to use segments and metrics. I have done this successfully with organic traffic but there is no option to select social traffic. 

I would really appreciate a walkthrough. 

Tracking Social Media

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Shabaz,

just filter for 'social' (instead of clicking on it) in the 'All traffic > channels' report given.

Christoph

Tracking Social Media

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried that but, after filtering the graph drops to just 2-5 hits while actually it should be around hundreds.