Analytics
4.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Site Visits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This might be a stupid question, but is there anywhere in GA that will allow you to track visits? Just a basic standard metric that says this is how many visits (not sessions, not users, etc.) visited your site? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tracking Site Visits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sessions are visits.  One user can have multiple visits; just like one user can have multiple sessions.  Check the Audience > Overview report for the overall standard metric story.

Tracking Site Visits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response, I guess what I am referring to is how many "hits" my website receives. My understanding of a session is Google's measurement of something worth tracking (this is kind of ambiguous, but it appears to be more than just an arrival on a website). There are more details as to what constitutes as a session here. Basically, I am looking for a report that will tell me "this is how many times your website was visited within a given time frame (both unique and total)". Thanks!

Tracking Site Visits

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hits in GA are the individual data points which are sent everytime there is a tracked interaction with your website. For example, 1 session, by 1 user, can generate many hits as they view pages, send events, convert etc etc.

The report you need can be found in the audience overview report. Adjust the date range to the time frame you wish, and you will see sessions and users reported. The number of sessions is the number of times your site was visited during that time period. The number of users are the number of individuals (or more accurately, the number of devices) who came to your site and made those sessions. 

One user can generate many sessions within a given time period. I think you're confusing yourself by applying the word unique to sessions - try to avoid thinking in those terms. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.