AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Set of Specific Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a client that is a mountain camp. They have a number of programs to offer each with a separate web page within their site. They want to be able to see the traffic performance (and possibly some other stats) of that particular group of pages.I tried filters but couldn't get it to work. Didn't know if there was a dashboard I could modify to do this.

Thanks. Just not having much luck finding this info. I know they could view the whole report but with lots of pages that is tedious to comb through all the entries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SDAgency
January 2016

Re: Tracking Set of Specific Pages

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Add a filter for Page Matches RegEx and put this in there:

^\/(mwlr|our-programs\/.+|young-marriage|work-faith)\/?$

That will match all of these pages:
/mwlr/
/our-programs/summer-camp/
/our-programs/summer-camp-blog/
/our-programs/association-gathering/
/our-programs/mennocycle-program/
/our-programs/road-scholar/
/young-marriage/
/work-faith/

I don't know how in depth you plan on getting with the analytics, but if it's something you plan on doing then I would recommend learning RegEx. It's pretty easy, I think it took me about a two hours to really get the gist of it. Here is the site I use to validate my filters:
http://www.regexr.com/

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I think if you explain the part about 'couldn't get it to work', you'll get a better response. You could also post a link to the site and explain which pages you want to isolate. Either way, I'll think you'll get help sooner.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is the site: http://tinyurl.com/qbj3ydo then go to the Our Programs dropdown. All those pages need to be tracked.

So when they login to GA they want to get a quick, easy snapshot of the traffic and how each program landing page like Summer Camp or Road Scholar is doing. I can go to Behavior>Pages but then I want some way to just show the program pages, not all the pages. So it could be there or through some custom Dashboard.

I tried creating a segment and content group, but that doesn't show me a view of just the program pages.

Also tried a filter with a | pipe as seen here (http://www.lovesdata.com/blog/2010/grouping-pages/#.VqoBUVLEiaY) but didn't work, produced zero results. My filter looked like Page Containing /young-marriage/|/our-programs/road-scholar/

As you can see not all the programs have the same url structure so I can't setup anything that begins with /our-programs/ to cover them all.

Thanks.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SDAgency
January 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Add a filter for Page Matches RegEx and put this in there:

^\/(mwlr|our-programs\/.+|young-marriage|work-faith)\/?$

That will match all of these pages:
/mwlr/
/our-programs/summer-camp/
/our-programs/summer-camp-blog/
/our-programs/association-gathering/
/our-programs/mennocycle-program/
/our-programs/road-scholar/
/young-marriage/
/work-faith/

I don't know how in depth you plan on getting with the analytics, but if it's something you plan on doing then I would recommend learning RegEx. It's pretty easy, I think it took me about a two hours to really get the gist of it. Here is the site I use to validate my filters:
http://www.regexr.com/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, you are totally my hero with this. It seems like such a simple, common request. Unfortunately I can't dedicate the time to become an Analytics wizard and have wondered why Google doesn't have a simpler version for the average business owner looking at key metrics. I do have some pre built dashboards but none of them seem to have all of what I am looking for.

Thanks again! This is a HUGE help. I'll have to look into Regexr.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Try setting them up as goals.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, this solution worked for my situation, at least halfway.  Using the same filter, 

I have a time series and a table.  But for the first one below, it showed the pageviews per URL with /blog.  Whereas for the second one, it only showed /blog, with none of the other sub-/blog pages, where I expected a list of top 10.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

blog pages views.JPGblog pages views 2.JPG

Tracking Set of Specific Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh figured it out.  Evidently I had page selected as dimension in one, with landing page in the other.  Landing page doesn't work.  Page does.