Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Code Mismatch, lost data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

why would my tracking code suddenly change? my website has been active for many years with a different tracking code.  in early march, GA sends an alert that i have a Tracking Code Mismatch.  I updated the tracking code in my website pages, and I do see data being reported under that tracking code. HOWEVER all old data under the previous tracking code is gone.  So, data for Jan/feb, for instance, is super low, showiing only a small fraction of the hits that i saw for those months when i pulled a report prior to changing the tracking code.

please help me understand why the tracking code changed, and why my data is gone?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Code Mismatch, lost data

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Google never changes the property number (the number starting with UA- ) in the account. If it appears to have changed, you must have created two properties for the same website.

How different are the two numbers? If they only differ after the second hyphen, you created two properties in one account. If the differ after the first hyphen, you have two separate accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
they differ after the first hyphen....interesting.thank you for this information! will dig deeper!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
it has been confirmed that a new account was NOT created, and the analytics numbers are much lower for this time period (jan-march) now than they were before the code was updated. Can anyone help us understand why this is so? why does it seem we lost analytics for the old code that was there before the switch to the new code?

In early march, we received a notification in our inbox that said: : Tracking Code Mismatch - Tracking code on page www.-----.org does not match property mspa-na's tracking ID UA----------.. We don't understand why we received a new tracking code when the account did not change.

the analytics numbers were as expected before we swtiched the code. then we switched to the new code, but the numbers from before the switch are now much lower.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
If your number differs after the first hyphen then you are starting all over with a new account and any old data will remain with the old account there is no way to transfer the data from the old account to the new account that I know of.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@MSPA N, absolutely nothing you just said makes sense. Google does not arbitrarily change your code like that, ever. You must have at least two properties (possibly two accounts) for the same website, and you got them mixed up.

That email means code on the URL you listed as the property's "default URL" doesn't match the property's code. If you accidentally created two accounts with the same default URL, but didn't put two tags on the page, one account would receive that message. You should have ignored it.

If the "new" account has traffic from before the code switch, it suggests you already had that property's code on some pages somewhere.

There's not technical error here. You've just screwed up your account management.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
where can i get a detailed info about this issue?