Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Track visits from subdomains, each with its own UAID and with main domain in referral exclusion list

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have my main company website and many other subdomain websites, each using Google Universal Analytics with its own UA-ID:

• www.mycompany.com MAIN WEBSITE
  • website1.mycompany.com SUBDOMAIN WEBSITE 1
  • website2.mycompany.com SUBDOMAIN WEBSITE 2
  • etc.

All the websites above have TRACKING INFO -> Referral Exclusion List set to:

mycompany.com

Now, I want to check how many visits to a page on the main website, e.g. to the page www.mycompany.com/login, come from website1 rather than website2 rather than other external websites (google, bing, blogs, etc.).

Looking at the hostname or referral on the main website Google Analytics report, I do not see info regarding visits from my subdomain websites, meaning I cannot identify how many sessions/users came to the login webpage from my subdomain websites.

I even thought about checking on each subdomain website Google Analytics report how many visits are going out from the subdomain website to the login main webpage, but I cannot see that information.

How could I achieve this?

Thanks a lot.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track visits from subdomains, each with its own UAID and with main domain in referral exclusion

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Michele :-)

There is a great article by Lunametrics on how to do this. It does require some javscript code to be added however the article is pretty comprehensive
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/06/19/missing-referral-traffic-universal-analytics/

So yes, it can be done, but will require a little extra work and coding to get it all working.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Track visits from subdomains, each with its own UAID and with main domain in referral exclusion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Michele,

unfortunately, if you track those websites as different properties, and they all have "mycompany.com" between the Referral exclusion list, then you cannot achieve this information.

If you have a view where all the websites are tracked together, then you could apply an Advanced Segment with a sequence condition to extract the information you need.

In the case you described, visits from the domains (and subdomains of those domains) inserted in the Referral exclusion list should appear in GA as visits from direct, or, if a session is already in progress, the original source will be kept.

If you would like to see your subdomains between your referrals, you should (at least from the view/property that tracks the main website www.mycompany.com) erase "mycompany.com" from the referral exclusion list.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Elena

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You wrote: "If you would like to see your subdomains between your referrals, you should (at least from the view/property that tracks the main website www.mycompany.com) erase "mycompany.com" from the referral exclusion list."

Would it be possible to create a duplicate property of the main website where I set <nothing> in the referral exclusion list?
But I do not want to modify the referral exclusion list for my existing main website property...

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Michele,

in order to duplicate a property, you should install a second GA tracking on your website that sends data to said property.
There is no way to duplicate a property with one click.

If you're up to make some little changes on your property, though, you could have both a view with the exclusion on the referral mycompany.com, and one with no exclusion.

In order to do that, you could exclude the "mycompany.com" referral at view level instead of property level.
This means:

1 Duplicating the existing view with one click (the path to get there is Admin->(Select view from drop down menu on the third column->)View settings->Click on "Copy view" button (upper right)
This view will have the same settings, goals etc of the original view, but no historical data.

2 Deleting the domain mycompany.com from the referral exclusion list of the property of the main website, and apply instead this filter at view level for the first (original) view.

If you are uncertain about any of those steps, let me know

Best,

Elena

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elena,
Could you please elaborate on "and apply instead this filter at view level for the first (original) view."?

Is there a referral exclusion filter at the view level (instead of at the property level), or which filter are you referring to?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Michele,

there is no "referral exclusion list" at view level, but you can filter your data at view level with this procedure:

1. Select the view you want to apply the filter on from the drop-down menu on the third column of the "Admin" section of the GA panel
    Schermata 2016-07-19 alle 15.49.12.png

2. Click on Filters, you'll get to a screen like this
    Schermata 2016-07-19 alle 15.49.28.png
  3. Click on the "Add new filter" red button and set the filter like this:
    (of course, substitute the instances of "mycompany.com" with the domain of your website)
    Schermata 2016-07-19 alle 15.50.21.png
    and then save.

Let me know if everything is clear,

Best,

Elena

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, everything is now clear.

To sum it up, I see 3 solutions:

1. follow lunametric's article, customizing my JavaScript tracking code

2. follow Elena's solution, but having problems with historical data for my main website view (since once I duplicate it and reapply the referral exclusion list to the duplicated view, the main website "original" view will have historical data with no referral and from-that-day-on data with referrals)

3. probably the easiest way would be to track via JavaScript Analytics events or via Analytics campaigns how many people click on URLs pointing to the main website from each sudomain domain. That would be adding events/campaign to each subdomain website, where required.