Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Track visitors' origin AND behaviour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Community, 

Is it possible to see which channels people come from (social media, direct) AND their eventual path and behaviour on the website? Some kind of 2 in 1 between Behaviour and Acquisition.

I understand it can be impossible in terms of privacy, since the IP address would be tracked in this case..

Thank you in advance!

Anastasia.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track visitors' origin AND behaviour

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Anastasiia D one possible way to do this would be to create a segment based upon default channel grouping. Since segments remain in place as you move around inside of GA in theroy you should then be able to go and look at user behaviour and see how each of the different channels and user behaviour correspond. You may have to set up a segment for each of your channels (Direct, Organic Search, Referral, Social, Email, Other, etc.) or you could create one segment with a series of and/ors and then use the drill down feature to look at each individually or as a group.

I have not tried this yet but it sounds feasible.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian, 

Thanks a lot!

In fact I managed to set the segments for LinkedIn and Facebook (there was an autofill search), but not for twitter (it didn't add any directory for the address twitter.com). I can see the sessions through these media and the visitors in single days.

And afterwards if I go to the Behaviour Flow, I cannot visualise the data for neither LinkedIn nor Facebook, it indicates that "This segment contains constraints that cannot be applied to this report."

Is there some settings to add or is it a block from the social media?

Thanks!

Re: Track visitors' origin AND behaviour

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I believe it is blocked perhaps due to PII perhaps another reason but in either case it is blocked.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

How are you setting up your segments? Experiment with using the advanced>conditions option in the segment interface, rather than the traffic source fields. Particularly with facebook, it may be better to use a contains (or regex) match on 'facebook' to capture visits from facebook.com, m.facebook.com etc. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot John, that indeed changes everything!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Brian, could be that!