Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Track signup conversion in Google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up a goal in Google analytics to fire when a user signs up and I am interested to know what is the conversion rate of completion broken down by traffic channel.

The problem is that Google analytics takes into account all visitors to calculate the conversion rate, regardless of whether they are users or not (have or have not completed the goal previously).

Is there any way to track the conversion rate only for users/visitors that are new and not take into account visits that have from users that have already signed up?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Nick S,

You can create a segment of users where you can exclude users who have completed a specific goal(sign ups).
Then you can view the reports with that segment applied

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Ritwik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ritwik,

Thanks for the reply. If I exclude users that have completed the goal then the conversion rate will be 0% right? Is there a way to exclude users that have previously completed the goal?

Re: Track signup conversion in Google analytics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Nick S,

Yes. You can apply the past date range to check the previous stats(conv. rate.) . Also you can experiment with filters as per your needs:
eg: exclude Users where per session goal is >0
      exclude Users where per user goal is >0 , etc

Here's google demo account ex with past date range:goaldemo1.png

Source / Medium report with 0 Conv:
goaldemo2.png

Thanks,
Ritwik

Re: Track signup conversion in Google analytics

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, Nick

You could combine Session date and some analytics dimension within your segments so you coud exclude users who completed specific goal within some time period or before report date

date-source.png

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

note that session date is available both in Conditions and Sequences segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply. I cannot seem to be able to make it work. I am using the sequence as you suggested and I start with Goal (Signup) completion greater than zero and session date before the report date. This filter includes or excludes all sessions before the report date because the session date is before the time range.

Am I missing something?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I've used some similar segment with report start date extended into past and date as a secondary dimension. Later I filtered the report by date to get data for particular time range

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Google Analytics reports are in any case limited to time range so you can filter or segment you visitors only based on their data in a given period. So if 'sign up' event had happened before your reported time range it will not be accessible within report. 

In some cases you can identify your signed up users by some particular behavior such as visiting login page or dashboard page. Perhaps you can find something like that in your project.