Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Track hits since Day 1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to track hits since the first day? I manage various sites and would like to create a report that gives me some data since the first day of each site; I thought about using a custom metric for the report but can't seem to accurately crack my problem.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track hits since Day 1

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Eduardo V,

I'm not familiar with a way to automatically find the first day that a site started tracking (assuming that's what you are after) so you may have to just go the manual route and scan your date ranges, presumable armed with the knowledge of knowing approximately when you first started tracking your site.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
1. use the date range go back ages
2. if you mean get earlier data than what is in your GA account now - then no it only collect from when it is added so back data anywhere

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's what I've been doing, I was just wondering if there was and automatic way of doing it.

Thank you!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eduardo V
June 2016

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Eduardo, Whenever I set up a new account I add an Annotation that says this account started to collect data on this date. That way I know when I started collecting data. I also annotate when a site quits collecting data as well. I also annotate items of interest such as system down time, holidays, work stopages, changes to settings, newly added content or policy documents and anything else that may cause a blip on the time line either up or down, so if they come up during a meeting I can quickly give a scenerio of events that happened during that time frame that may account for any sudden rise or fall in metrics.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Brian B, that's a good system. Another option would be to add Custom Alerts for certain events, and in @Eduardo V's case, you can add an alert that notifies you when your traffic falls below a certain threshold (to indicate that there may be a potential issue with tracking or the site itself). Could also work the other way around, if your traffic rises above some threshold, or a whole bunch of other things.

Screenshot - 6_14_2016 , 8_15_53 AM.png

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn