Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Total number of users in a custom report does not match with the number shown at the top

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all, I encountered an issue in a custom report in the User-ID view. Data is collected through GTM.

I want to look at the number of users broken down to different hostnames (report attached), but the total (121x27=3,267) just doesn't match the total number shown at the top of the table (761,582). Any ideas on what might be wrong? 

Date range is March. It is a sampled report, and we're doing roll-up reporting. Huge headache. 

Thank you so very much,
Audrey

GTM User-ID view custom report_Hostname users.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Total number of users in a custom report does not match with the number shown at the top

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You can't sum Users across dimensions -- it is a unique metric that de-duplicates across dimensions. i.e. one user visits 12 hostnames; shows in each hostname row but still only 1 user total. This is not your problem, but worth noting.

Sampling will kill detailed reports. The presence of all of the 121's means that there was 1 session from that user in the sample, and it was multiplied by 121 to approximate the whole (you are sampling at the rate of 1/121). Most likely there are thousands of users that did NOT appear in the report (existed only in the other 120/121 sessions).

Reduce your date range to stop sampling, then try again.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.