Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Total access: Google URL shortener X Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to understand the reason for differences between clicks at Google URL shortener and pageviews in google analytics.

See my case and consider that we use the same URL for tracking:

We have a following situation:

Google shortener: 1.144.362 clicks

Google Analyctics: 334.732 clicks

In other case we have:

Google shortener: 878.767 clicks

Google Analyctics: 11.652 clicks

We know that the user can leave the page before Google Analytics counts, however, I believe that in my case the percentage of quitting is high and some issues has on my page.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Have you checked your GA code implementation for errors with Google Tag Assistant or with a tool such as GA Debugger?

Similar to this came up in another thread a little while ago, 

They are different tools.. GA tracks views of your website pages

Google URL shortener is tracking clicks on the urls to your website pages.

They are not going to show the same data as they are tracking different things and using different methods to track them.

Other considerations -

a) Visitors that may have completely opted out of GA tracking, ppl that may not have images or js enabled in their browsers, pages not loading before the tracking code has time to load and so on.

b) Have the shortened urls been tested to check they do go to the correct pages.

(I have seen instances in the past when someone accidently shortened the incorrect url and did not realize until after the shortened link with the error had been used. I have also seen instances where redirects were setup on the site without a person's knowledge so the shortened url traffic was being redirected to a different page instead of the expected page that the shortened link was meant to go to.) 

c) Normal ga processing latency is 24-48hrs. So.. ga data for yesterday's site visits/pageviews etc, might not end up being fully reported in analytics until tomorrow. Often you will get data on the same day but its not guaranteed, nor is it unusual for data to take up to 48hrs.

In some cases (i think possibly ecommerce tracking but cant remember) it may take up to 72hrs for full reporting of that particular data.

d) Using Google URL Shortener ... when looking at the click data in it's Google URL Shorteners own provided analytics,

are you changing the URL Shorteners timeframe parameter being looked at, and also matching the date range being looked at in Google Analytics. 
Google URL shortener shows clicks for all time since the URL was created, unless you change the timeframe for the particular url,
and even then you are limited to only 4 other options - 2hrs, day, week, month

Something i noticed while testing Google URL Shortener is that the all time option does show recent clicks but logs them as being for Dec 31 2016, even though they occurred today Jan 4, 2017. The month timeframe show the most recent clicks as occurring on Jan 03 2014. The week and the day option do show them as having occurred today Jan 4.

So even the dates for when clicks on a shortened url occurred may not be entirely correct either. 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks for reply.

I think that we have some issues on our site. I think that users can quitting before GA tracking.

I have use Google Dev tools to tracking with software.

Do you think that is possible? tks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Yes it is possible.. did you read thru my reply above? Its pretty detailed and it does answer your question under the Other Considerations section - point a).
It also offers quite a few other reasons as to why differences may occur as well

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here