Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Top Site Search Page is (entrance)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone!

Was reviewing the top pages the internal site search was initiated on in Analytics and one of the top 3 pages listed was (entrance) with direct/organic as the source/medium. 

How can someone start a search without being on the site? Is it via rich snippets in organic results?

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Top Site Search Page is (entrance)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Liz
This happens when someone enters your site directly from a search. The most likely culprit is that either people are bookmarking search result pages on your site or more likely (seeing it's in your top 3), Google or some other search engine is indexing search URLs. Without knowing your site URL I cannot check so that's where I'd look first.

If this is the case, make sure that you robots.txt exclude your search result pages and make sure the robots noindex directive is in the source of search results pages.

Hope that helps.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Dave -

I'm not sure yet - don't have direct access to the back end to check! If i hear back from the dev team I can update you. Thanks again for your suggestion!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Liz
If you go to Google and in the search box type site:yourdomain.com you'll see a list of all pages from your site indexed. Scroll through a few pages of results and see if you can find any pages indexed that are merely search result pages in your site. I have a feeling you'll find some.

If this is the case, you'll need to have your devs block Google from crawling those pages using the method I mentioned above. Fortunately, it's Avery straightforward process.

Let me know how you get on.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave,
This puzzles me as well. Our site has been blocking robots from indexing and following the search result pages but "entrance" has still been lsited as the second most popular page starting onsite search. I also checked indexed pages in Google site search and found no our search pages listed there. I suspect there must be some other reasons behind this. Or could (entrance) mean something different from its normal definition here?
cheers

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I was thinking more on this - could it be that the sessions appear to be new, but are actually hits from broken sessions? If the session cookie was dropped due to bad implementation?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I cannot think of the scenario of "bad implementation" because we just deployed tracking code to the global template which was quite straight forward.