Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Top Ranking Site to No Rankings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site was ranking number one for a specific search term and since launching the new site it no longer ranks for that term. The content changed slightly but not that much. Can you please help me to understand why this happened. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kneat S
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kneat,

Well hard to say, except that if any of the site structure changed e.g. the domain, page url's etc then that would have to be properly accounted for with the appropriate redirects. 

Check to make sure that your robots.txt is properly configured, that you used 301 redirects for all your pages that changed.  

Also this is more of a measurement forum so you may want to pop in on the webmasters forum / search console forum.

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kneat S
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kneat,

Well hard to say, except that if any of the site structure changed e.g. the domain, page url's etc then that would have to be properly accounted for with the appropriate redirects. 

Check to make sure that your robots.txt is properly configured, that you used 301 redirects for all your pages that changed.  

Also this is more of a measurement forum so you may want to pop in on the webmasters forum / search console forum.

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help Theo - structure has changed as has the content so will spend some time reviewing

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

No worries.  Changing where pages are located on the site without 301 redirects are akin to a store moving physical locations without giving out the new address.  Your customers (search engines) will show up and have no idea where your new location is.. and then they will go home and not come back... and your business will fail and you;ll have to live on the streets... (perhaps slightly over-dramatic) unless they happen to stumble across you another day.  

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn