Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Time on a particular page as a segment condition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone.

Is there a way to get the number of sessions during which a particular page was viewed for N seconds ?

For example, I need to get the data of during how many sessions page /new-cars/index.json was viewed for at least 5 seconds?

Is it possible using advanced segments or any other way?

Thanks in advance!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Davin, thank you for your response!

I've just got another solution for this case also using advanced segment: 

Create a Sequence Condition with one step.

Page = /new-cars/index.json , and

Time on Page, per hit, >= 300

This gives different results. What is the difference between the two approaches (I generally understand the difference between conditions and sequences segmentation) and which one can be considered correct?

Thank you!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys!

I'm afraid this task can't be done Smiley Sad

If we take a condition:
Time on page per session > 5
it will include all sessions with time on all pages in session greater than 5 seconds.

If we take a condition:
Time on page per hit > 5
it will include all sessions with at least 1 pageview longer than 5 seconds.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SNS S
September 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

The only way you can do this is to send an event on selected page after N seconds and then you can create a segment and include sessions with that event. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tomasz! This is it. Thank you very much for your response. When I was thinking about a solution, the only one I was able to come up with is sending an event after N seconds. But I was hoping that there can be a more gentle way.

Thanks again!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for clarifying--I'll remove my initial post to prevent any undue confusion!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Interesting topic and great solution @Tomasz_C and @Davin P. @SNS S, just wanted to mention in advance that, in order to achieve this, I would recommend using a Lunametrics engagement timer receipt. I have tested it for a while and it's working perfectly. You only need GTM to implement it. Here's the link to the JSON file: http://www.lunametrics.com/labs/recipes/engagement-timer/

By default, it sends events to GA every 15 seconds (is configurable via variable) up to a maximum of 30 minutes (configurable via variables), and pauses when the page is not the active tab in the browser or when the user hasn’t moved the mouse or pressed a key in the page in the last 65 seconds (configurable via variables).

This should help you gather even more accurate data and segment it later on as well Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Taavi