Analytics
5.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Time on Site with Source/Medium

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

When you are looking at time on site in GA filtering for a particular source/medium, is the time on-site listed just the time the person spent on the landing page (i.e. the URL that has the source/medium as a parameter), or their time on the whole site? So if someone sees an ad, goes onto the landing page and spends 10 seconds there, then 5 minutes on another page (where the source/medium is stripped from the URL), would 'time on site' on the Source/Medium report include the 5 minutes they spent on a page that didn't have source/medium in the URL parameters?

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Time on site I believe is calculated at session level. A time stamp is created from arrival and then the exit of the session. Attached to the session should be a campaign referrer, so if i cam through PPC that session should retain that source medium until a new session is created.

Hope this makes sense.

Adam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Abby,

The Source/Medium persists across the entire session (and even beyond, depending on your settings). That being the case, you can reliably compare something like 'Direct' vs 'PPC' time on site to get exactly what you are expecting e.g. in your example you'd see time on site as 5mins 10secs.

Even if the utm parameters are stripped from your URLs after the first landing, GA still know where that visitor came from.

Regards

Andy